It’s time to update your kitchen and you have a lot to consider. Since the majority of your day-to-day activities often occur within your kitchen it is important that you enjoy the space. One of the most common mistakes homeowners make is trying to do the kitchen remodel themselves, without consulting professionals. Be sure to call the experts first to help you save money by figuring out the most efficient ways to design a renovation plan that fits your needs as well as your budget. To help you create the best space you can, here are our kitchen design tips on things to keep in mind when remodeling to help you to create a functional kitchen.
- #1 in on the kitchen design tips list is to consider the kitchen triangle as the most important part of layout of this room. The distance from the sink to the refrigerator to the stove should be no less than 10 feet or greater than 25 feet, unobstructed and surrounded by countertop space. If you are considering re-arranging your kitchen, consult a plumber to see if it is possible to rework the plumbing.
- Evaluate the items that you will be storing in your kitchen to include storage for smaller items such as specialty kitchen items, as well as larger appliances like countertop grills and food processors. This will help to minimize the amount of wasted space within your kitchen and maximize extended storage areas above and below the countertops.
- If your kitchen is lacking in counter space, install an island or breakfast bar to extend your cooking surfaces and storage areas. But be careful, choosing an island that is too large or placing it in the wrong spot can disrupt the flow of your kitchen.
- Upgrading the lightening in your kitchen can help improve the atmosphere in the kitchen. Accent lighting or task lighting above commonly used work areas is a way to not only increase safety in the kitchen but illuminate appliances.
- Invest in an updated range hood to help circulate air (and food smells) and to help keep your kitchen cleaner. Today’s range hoods come in a variety of styles and colors, making them an attractive accessory in your kitchen.
- Be sure to upgrade your backsplash to materials such as tile, metal or plastic, as it is easier to clean and more durable than paint or wallpaper.
- Think about where your trash and recycling will go and consider installing sorting bins within your kitchen design.
- Avoid following the latest trends that will leave your kitchen looking dated in a few years. While modern appliances are a good choice, trendy colours can leave your kitchen looking much older than it is.
Using these tips is a good start to your kitchen remodel, but nothing beats speaking to a professional kitchen designer. Don’t hesitate to contact the MR Kitchens crew, we will be happy to set up a time to sit down with you and help you design your dream kitchen.